CHRISTMAS HIGH JINKS:       The sounds of La Golondrina floated through the air as Viv sat at the grand piano. How pleased she was that someone had asked them to look after this fine musical instrument for a few months. Having learned to play when she was younger, this gave Viv the opportunity to brush up on her skills as a pianist and she was thoroughly enjoying it. The piano was in the Library and suited the room perfectly. She could hear her father and an antique dealer talking in the Long Gallery as they haggled over the price of a painting that he was selling. Viv gazed out of the window as she played and thought back to the Midsummer’s Eve Ball that they’d had a few months ago. It had been a huge success and so many people were there – more than she’d ever seen in one place. She had worn her long dress and her best friend had stayed the night so that she had someone of her own age there. She and her friend had sold raffle tickets to the guests, which had been fun and a good way to mix with everyone. Viv wondered why it was that the men always seemed more jovial and friendly towards them than the women, even encouraging them to sit on their knee! It had been most embarrassing as Viv wasn’t used to such attentions. Parties and drinking made people act in very strange ways, she thought. Now her thoughts headed towards Christmas and the New Year’s Eve Ball that they were planning. It was so exciting having all these Balls and dances; it made Viv feel very grown up when she wore her evening gown and slingback shoes. However, Christmas was first and she began to wonder what gifts she would get.

“Let’s go out for a bit, I’m bored!” Gavin’s voice ran ahead of him into the Library and made Viv jump.

“OK, I suppose we could. I’ve been playing for ages now, I could do with a break,” answered Viv. “Where’s Pap?” Viv used their little brother’s nickname.

“He’s gone to his friends’ house to play – that’s why I’m bored!”

They wandered out of the Library and grabbed their coats; the weather was turning quite cold now and the nights were drawing in. As they headed out of the back door, stopping to check the guinea pigs first, their feet followed the path down towards the church, which stood on the edge of the grounds. A low stone wall surrounded the churchyard and they passed through the iron gate and made their way around to the front porch. The church was always open and seemed to attract quite a lot of visitors; however, there was no-one about that day and the children made their way inside.

“Gosh it’s so gloomy in here,” said Gavin. “I don’t know why people want to visit this place – there’s nothing to do or see inside.”

They wandered down the aisle looking at leaflets on the way. When they got to the altar they noticed two enormous candles at each end of it.

“Let’s light the candles,” Gavin shouted. “That will brighten the place up.”

With that he climbed up onto the altar, found some matches nearby and quickly lit the two candles. They noticed some other candles nearby and lit them. Then they saw a small chapel to one side and lit the candles in there too. The church looked so pretty now as the candlelight reflected off the brass work and the stained glass windows.

“That’s much better,” exclaimed Viv. “Now the place doesn’t look anywhere near as gloomy as it did before.”

As they stood back to admire their handiwork they thought they heard someone walking down the path to the door outside.

“Quick!” shouted Viv. “Let’s get out of here or we’ll be in trouble.”

They ran to the door but saw that it was just some visitors to the church so didn’t feel too worried after all. As they wandered around the corner of the church and onto the grass near the graves Gavin suddenly lurched forward and fell over.

“What’s up?” asked Viv as Gavin stood up.

“I tripped over a stone or something, buried under the grass,” he answered.

They pulled at the long grass and found that the stone was part of a grave that was quite overgrown. Quickly they yanked the grass away and used an old trowel that they’d found nearby to scrape all the moss off. Before long they saw a name.

“Meynell!” shouted Viv. “It’s one of the Meynell graves.”

“Not surprising, I suppose,” she added.

As they pulled more grass away the stone outline of a grave quickly revealed itself. Viv scraped more moss off the stones and before much longer she saw the full name which was carved there.

“Rose Meynell, aged 8 years old!”

They both looked at the name and Viv suddenly had an epiphany.

“It’s the ghost!” she cried. “The little girl we keep seeing on the landing.”

“Urgh really?” queried Gavin, moving further away from the grave.

“It must be”, continued Viv. “She’s the same age, she’s a Meynell and she died in the Victorian days.”

Viv stood up triumphantly as she realised that this must be the child’s last resting place. Then she felt a bit sad as she thought of a child dying so young; it also made the whole ghost thing seem more of a reality now that they’d seen her grave. Dusk was starting to fall so they made their way back through the graveyard to the iron gate which led into their grounds and soon they were back in their lounge. Quickly they told their mum all about the grave and she listened excitedly saying they’d have to check with Mrs Meynell to see if she knew anything about it.

“Don’t forget it’s the Christmas Carol Service tomorrow evening,” Gwynyth reminded them. This was met with loud groans of protest.

“Do we have to go?” asked Gavin. The children hated going to church as it was quite boring to them and most of the people there seemed to be very posh. Their mother informed them that they were expected to be seen there as they lived at the Hall but that there was a party at the vicarage afterwards with lots of food, mince pies and mulled wine along with a group of bell-ringers to finish off the evening. The thought of nice Christmas fare was enough to mollify them but they were already thinking up tricks they could play on the unsuspecting parishoners!

The day of the Carol Service arrived and as they approached the church Gavin and Viv went to show their mother where the grave was. But as they got nearer they couldn’t find it.

“How strange,” said Viv. “I’m sure it was here, just round the corner from the front door!”

“It was here!” shouted Gavin. “There's the stone that I tripped over.”

“But why would it disappear after all our hard work,” Viv wondered aloud and a cold shiver went down her back. She looked up and saw a small child running round the corner of the church.

“Hey!” she shouted and ran off towards her. As she rounded the corner she found herself all alone but ran to the next corner and then quickly searched the churchyard ending up back with her mother and brother who were patiently waiting.

“She's gone!” said Viv, exasperated.

“Who's gone dear?” asked her mother.

“The little girl that ran off – near the grave – didn't you see her?” Viv queried.

But no-one else had seen her and Viv was left frustrated, sensing that there was more to this than she knew.

They had another look around but couldn’t see anything but overgrown grass and crooked headstones. Their mother bustled them into the church saying they’d have a proper look another day. As they went to take their seats, they overhead the verger complaining that the candles on the altars were all burnt down and wondering who could have done such a thing in a church building. Gavin and Viv swapped smiles.


The grave of little Rose Meynell


Later on at the vicar’s tea party the children greedily scoffed down sandwiches and mince pies. One of the posh ladies asked Viv to hand round the trays of cake to which Viv took umbrage – she didn’t like people telling her what to do, especially when they weren’t her parents! By now they were getting bored and as per usual, when they got bored, they got up to mischief! They stood by the table with all the food on it and when no-one was looking they took the custard cream biscuits apart, licked all the cream out then put them back together again on the plate. They also swapped the tops and bottoms of the sandwiches around so the fillings were all mixed up. One last thing was a bottle of cola in the mulled wine!

The bell-ringers were about to start ringing out Christmas carols as they all stood down the staircase. Viv thought they looked rather nice and sounded very Christmassy too. She and Gavin stood watching everyone eat their food whilst listening to the bells - and smiled at the strange faces they pulled as they ate!

More tea vicar?


 Don't miss next week's instalment:   “A New Year Calamity!”

If you would like to follow my story from the beginning, click here and please feel free to share with your friends.

 Merry Christmas everyone!




Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to:

Have something to say? Leave a comment below.

Leave a comment   Like   Back to Top   Seen 36 times   Liked 1 times

Subscribe to Updates

If you enjoyed this, why not subscribe to free email updates and join over 293 subscribers today!

Subscribe to Story updates

Enter your email address to be notified of new posts:

Subscribe to:

Alternatively, you can subscribe via RSS

‹ Return to Story

We never share or sell your email address to anyone.

I've already subscribed / don't show me this again

Recent Posts

Here Comes the Bride (Part 2) #33

| 24 hours ago | Growing Up In a Stately Home

Here Comes the Bride (Part 2)  #33

HERE COMES THE BRIDE (Part 2):    And so our wedding day at Hoar Cross Hall arrived bright and clear, all thoughts of solicitors, legals, fights and arrests behind us! Myself and my bridesmaids went to get our hair done in the morning and Kev slapped a piece of steak on his jaw to bring the swelling down after the rather unfortunate fight at his stag do. Fortunately, the bruise didn’t show up too much on the photos! Gavin drove my dad’s Mercedes Benz car all the way down the drive and back up the road to the church – this was one of the drawbacks of having a church in the grounds; you don’t get to drive all through the town with everyone looking at you! Never mind, a small crowd of locals were gathered around the gate to the church and we got out, had a few photos taken and walked down the aisle to ‘Here comes the bride’. However, as Kev had not attended the rehearsal (remember, he was fixing someone’s shower!), he didn’t have a clue what was going on or where to stand or anything! When we came to say our vows, the vicar got his name wrong and so I nearly married a ‘Derek’. There was much whispering at the front as we told him the correct name. Again, when I put my ring on the Bible, the vicar thought it was two rings as I had a Russian wedding ring with three bands. He started to say ‘with these rings……’ and once again, there was much whispering at the front as we explained that it was only one ring! And then, just as we were on our knees to receive the blessing, Chris Meek (my dad’s old racing driver) walked in with a beautiful model on his arm. She was wearing a short cheesecloth dress and with the sun behind her it was completely see through! Anyone who remembers the Lady Di photo will know what I mean! We heard a sharp intake of breath as the whole congregation turned to face the door – talk about upstaging the bride! Finally, the ceremony was over and I was married to Kev (not Derek) and as we walked out into the sunlight I felt a huge relief that it was all over and no-one had been arrested! However, the day was slightly marred by the fact that my mum wasn’t there and because she had been asked not to come, she had retaliated by not letting my little brother Piers come either. When the photos were being taken, Gavin, my other brother, was turning the car round and missed being in any of the shots! So out of my whole family, there was just me and my dad in the photos! But more annoying was the fact that a lot of the guests were rushing to have their photos taken next to Chris Meek’s brand new Ferrari! The Ferrari that stole the show!   However, the party was great and the band a huge success. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves and drank the bar dry. My dad brought down the promised bottles of champagne that he had been saving for all those years and put them on our table. After a while he noticed that everyone was happily drinking the cheaper pomagne, which we had bought for the toast, so he took all the bottles back upstairs to his room! We didn’t even get one for ourselves! Later on we had the speeches and, as I have said before, our best man was in the entertainment industry and was a professional performing magician. As he did his speech, he incorporated some of his tricks into the talk and guests were treated to bunches of flowers being pulled from his sleeve and strings of hankies appearing from nowhere. Finally a dove magically appeared from a hat and flew around the room – good job Percy the parrot wasn’t around! He did such a professional job that all Kev’s relatives thought we’d hired him for the day and couldn’t believe that he was our friend!   Chris (the magician) and Kev    As the party continued on into the night people gradually went home until there was just us and our friends left at 5am. Bodies were everywhere – someone had fallen asleep on the Entrance Hall steps, another couple were flat out on a sofa in the Long Gallery. ...

See you in Court #31

| 11th January 2021 | Growing Up In a Stately Home

See you in Court  #31

SEE YOU IN COURT:     The saga of my parents’ split continued as we grew up in our stately home, although their behaviour was anything but stately for most of the time! Seven years of arguing and fighting were about to come to an end and the solicitors had finally agreed on a date to go to court. We carried on helping my dad to run the Hall and he still went to his boat in Caernarfon at weekends to get away from the house but we were all getting weary of it now. We were young adults and wanting to get on with our own lives. After five years together we were hoping to get married at some point so we were glad that it was finally going to be sorted out one way or another. Gavin was now involved with a band who regularly supported The Jam so he was often travelling around the country with them. Piers had been sent to a local boarding school so we saw even less of him than before. My mum continued to live in the West Wing Apartment and was now seeing the singer who sang at the banquets. My dad sat on his own most nights with only the parrot for company. When he found out about the singer it started a fresh load of outbursts from him as he now felt that the pair of them were trying to take his house and business off him! He constantly ranted on about it and often threatened to shoot the singer with his gun – I don’t think he would have done but then again, with his temper, who knows! This latest twist in the story did nothing for my dad’s sanity and my mum was still hoping to have him committed and kept making appointments for him with the psychiatrist. Once again, the Police were called every week informing them of the threats on the singer’s life and they eventually took my dad’s gun licence off him just in case anything did happen! We tried to keep out of the way as much as possible and stayed in Burton all week, where we worked, and came home at weekends where we would meet up with our friends and party in the apartments out of sight and sound of my parents. One morning we came home at 8am after being out all night and met my dad on the stairs as we were going to bed. He looked surprised and said “You’re up early today aren’t you?” to which we just nodded and carried on to our bedrooms! We consoled ourselves by spending a lot of time in the Meynell Arms, the local pub in the village. When we walked in of an evening, everyone was keen to know the latest updates on the divorce and we would spend half an hour telling them all the news – it was like a real life soap opera! On Tuesday nights a bunch of the local businessmen would all meet up for a drink. These men were all middle aged, respectable professionals but on a Tuesday night they turned into a bunch of mad men! We loved it of course, being young and wanting to forget our miserable home life – what better way than a bit of madness? And so, after quite a few drinks, these guys would decide to take sides and have a fight. They piled all the furniture up at each end of the pub to make a barricade then used fire extinguishers and soda syphons to squirt water at each other until one side ‘won’. As you can imagine, the mess was horrendous; water was everywhere! Every week the cleaner resigned and they would have to find another one. What a place! A typical night at the Meynell!   But all this jollity didn’t put off the inevitable day in court. Birmingham Crown Court was where we all met to finally sort out this miserable mess that my parents had got themselves into. On the one side was my dad with his solicitor and barrister plus Kev and I for moral support. On the other side was my mum with her solicitor and barrister and one or two of the banquet staff for moral support. And so, there we all stood, our two little groups waiting in the corridor outside the court room. The solicitors were both giving out last minute instructions and conferring with their barristers on this and that. And then it was time; they called us in and we sat on e...

Here Comes the Bride (Part 1) #32

| 11th January 2021 | Growing Up In a Stately Home

Here Comes the Bride    (Part 1) #32

HERE COMES THE BRIDE (Part 1):   Now my dad was having to move out of the Hall we had decided to bring our wedding forward so that we could get married in the church in the grounds (the Church of the Holy Angels) and then have the reception afterwards in the Hall, which was after all our family home. The wedding preparations were going quite well and as we knew lots of musicians it wasn’t hard to find a local band and a DJ to do the disco. A friend of my dad’s offered to do the catering and the bar was set up with plenty of kegs from the local brewery in Burton on Trent. I had two bridesmaids and we all went to Birmingham one day to choose our dresses and shoes – it was all kept very simple really as I had no help or advice from my mum as most brides do. Kev’s parents had eloped after the war and got married in a register office with two witnesses dragged off the street, so they had no idea what you did to plan a wedding! I managed to find a church near to Kev’s house and sorted out the reading of the banns. Then we went to the vicarage across the road from my house and booked the date. The vicar told us in no uncertain terms that he would expect us to be there when the banns were read. However, as we never got up before lunch on a Sunday, try as we might, we never actually managed to hear our own banns being read! It was almost as bad at the wedding rehearsal. I went to the church with my dad and the two bridesmaids but Kev never managed to get there as he was fitting a shower for someone! I don’t think the vicar was very impressed with us! The nearer it got to our wedding date the more we worried about my mum turning up. It wasn’t that I didn’t want her there but that my dad told us we couldn’t possibly have her there as he would ‘see red’ and a row would ensue. We really didn’t want a huge argument on our wedding day but knowing my dad’s temper we weren’t sure that he would be able to control himself so he offered to see his solicitor to see if he had any suggestions. The solicitor suggested that we take out an injunction to stop my mum attending the wedding! Talk about extremes. It seemed to us that it was all getting out of hand – why couldn’t they just sit on each side of the church and ignore each other? They lived at each end of the house and ignored each other! A letter was sent to my mum threatening the injunction – looking back my poor mum must have been so upset. Her eldest daughter getting married and now their squabbles had spoilt what should have been a happy day. She must have visited the vicar to see what he could do as the next thing he was ringing us up and making an appointment to see him at the vicarage. We didn’t know what it was about until we got there and he gave us quite a talking to. He must have thought we were terrible people to try and ban my mother from our wedding but we tried to put our side of the story to him and told him of my dad’s terrible temper and how he might start an argument in the church. He then told us something that stunned us – he told us that vicars have the power of arrest in their church if anyone causes a disturbance; this is apparently from some ancient law. I wonder how many people know that? I think we just left it then and hoped that the solicitor’s letter would be enough. I did hear many years later on the grapevine that mum had crept in at the back of the church for a quick look before the ceremony ended – I hope she did.  She also sent a friend to take photos of us. But first we had to have our stag and hen dos. In those days it was always the night before the wedding, which seems ridiculous really considering all the excess drinking that usually goes on. How different to today’s brides and grooms who go off for whole weekends to some far flung place in the sun with a group of friends for fun and frolics a month before the Big Day. Much more sensible, if expensive! I decided to go out for a nice meal with my friend...

A New Year Calamity! #30

| 03rd January 2021 | Growing Up In a Stately Home

A New Year Calamity!  #30

A NEW YEAR CALAMITY!       The New Year’s Eve Balls at the Hall were usually the highlight of the year. After twelve months of hard work, especially running the Mediaeval Banquets twice a week through the winter, we were always ready to see out the year in style with a big new year party. In those days it was always black tie for the men and long dresses for the ladies – usually around 500 people bought tickets for an evening of entertainment with a dance band, disco and a meal. At midnight a man dressed in traditional Scottish regalia, including a kilt and sporran, would pipe in the new year with his bagpipes. Down the Long Gallery he would slowly walk and into the Ballroom with his pipes droning on. When midnight arrived a net full of balloons was dropped onto all the guests from the ceiling, out came the party poppers and hats and everyone joined hands to sing ‘Auld Lang Syne’. Once all the traditional stuff was done the band started up again and we all did the Hokey Cokey, the Conga and other silly dances that only happen on New Year’s Eve! It was always great fun and I loved to dress up in my long dress. My parents were having a trial separation around this time so my dad had to run the New Year’s Eve Ball on his own. I helped, as I had before, with the administration; posting out tickets and doing a bit of book-keeping. The week prior to the Ball was spent moving furniture about and cleaning the house up after all the banquet tables and benches were removed. We usually used some of the banquet tables for people to sit at but this particular year my mum had stored them all away in the basement and put a lock on the door – these were her property now! This left my dad in a bit of a quandary about what to do for tables and after a lot of ranting he decided that he would have to hire some. As my dad was well known for being ‘careful’ with his money, he didn’t want to spend too much and hired the cheapest tables and chairs he could. They arrived on the day of the Ball in a van with a man (or two) and they carried them into the Ballroom and left. Kev and I went to set them out later on – it was only then that we realised why they were so cheap. The tables folded out but the chairs were all joined together in rows of 10! So it meant that every time someone got up to leave the table, the other 9 people had to get up too as they all pushed back together! Eventually we got the house sorted out and hoped that people wouldn’t be too bothered about the chairs. Then my dad noticed that the Christmas tree lights weren’t working. In true dad style he went down to his basement workshop and found some old lights that weren’t really safe to use – however, he insisted that he could fix them with a bit of tape even though Kev (who was a trained electrician) told him they were unsafe and he would be willing to go to the next village to buy some new ones. But my dad wouldn’t have it and he certainly wouldn’t spend the few pounds required, so they were botched up much to Kev’s disgust and hung on the tree. Kev and I on New Year's Eve   As we went to switch the lights on just before people arrived, they blew the main fuse in the fuse box. My mum had locked the cupboard that contained the fuse boxes because she kept all the bar stock in there and as she had gone away for new year there was no way of getting the key. My dad was furious and asked Kev to break into the cupboard. Once again we were ‘breaking and entering’ at my dad’s command – at least we had a valid reason this time! An enormous crowbar was found in the workshop and Kev set to work on the door, wood splintering everywhere – these doors were incredibly well made! Eventually we got in and Kev managed to re-set the fuse box – the lights were thrown away. People were starting to arrive but they were a little late getting to us. One or two complained about the car parking facilities but we didn’t think anything of it as we ...